Wednesday, September 4, 2019

Adventure


Adventure.

“Life is a great adventure...accept it in such a spirit.”
Theodore Roosevelt

One of the definitions of adventure is “the exploration of unknown territory.”

I thought I might go on a little adventure the other day to check out an independent bookstore in a nearby town that I had been wanting to visit. 

It just so happened to be in a town that I had once lived in back in my single days so I thought I might kill two birds with one stone by taking a trip down memory lane. 

As I made my way past my old apartments I couldn’t help, but notice how unfamiliar everything looked. Even the elementary school next door had somehow morphed into a two story monstrosity. When did that happen?

As I made my way toward the bookstore I couldn’t help but be reminded about how much I had enjoyed living in that town years before. I’m never good with change when it comes to the places I’ve lived. I always expect them to somehow be the same, but they never are. 

I located the bookstore, and was quite charmed by the outside appearance. A trickling water feature, a trellised arbor, and outdoor seating made a perfect reading nook for its customers. 

Unfortunately, when I stepped into the tiny indoor space I was disappointed in what I found. I’m sure the coffee is probably quite good, but I had intended to focus more upon the books as I had already had a cup earlier that morning. 

It was somewhat anticlimactic to find only one shelf of books on the back wall. It was also almost impossible to check out all the books because someone was seated at one of the tables wedged into the small space, and was blocking my way. 

I was excited to see, though, that my neighbor’s books were featured on one of the shelves. She is an Indie author who had done an author talk there earlier in the month.

Unfortunately, I was out of town at the time, and was unable to attend. 

I didn’t stay long, and was a little disappointed that my adventure had kind of fizzled out, but I realized that life sometimes works that way. 

Not everything we attempt to do ends up being amazing, and yet that should never be a reason to hold us back from trying new things or visiting new places. 

Next time, I might need to plan to buy a cup of coffee, and bring something to read in the lovely, little outside nook. 

I’m including some information about my neighbor Tabi, and about the coffee shop Black and Bitter below:







No comments:

Post a Comment