Friday, July 26, 2019

That Time I Took An Art Class


That time I took an art class. 


I had an unexpected reaction to an art class that I took last night. 

I had been all excited about a colored pencil drawing class that I had signed up for at an art center in Bedford. Now as I look back on it, I realize that I must have focused on the words colored pencils, and conveniently over looked the word drawing. 

Coloring while watching tv has become a nightly pastime for me, and I was excited to learn more about how to use my colored pencils. 

When I saw the class advertised at the local community art center 
it didn’t take me long to sign up, and I happily anticipated attending. 

Now, did I come away from the class with a few new ways to use my pencils? Yes. Did I enjoy getting to meet some new people at the class? Yes. Did I get a lead on some pretty awesome buttery soft pencils? You betcha. 

Did I have an overall fun time? NO!

Wait, I thought I was the one always wanting to learn new things? I thought I was the one always pushing myself out of my comfort zone to reap the benefits of the new experience? I thought I was the one who was always encouraging others to do the same? 

Unfortunately it didn’t turn out that way. I felt like a total hypocrite the first hour and a half into the class. Our instructor asked us to draw a pair of cherries that we would use to learn the techniques of shading and layering. I reluctantly began “sketching” two sphere-like objects, all the while panicking at my lack of drawing prowess.  

I was so uncomfortable, and so unhappy with the pitiful looking cherries that were before me, that I wished I could just slink out the back door. As I looked around at everyone else’s I was totally embarrassed at how bad mine looked. Even the ten year old child sitting close by had produced something that resembled a real cherry. 

As the instructor made her way around the room to brag about each person’s efforts, I was quite relieved that she never said anything about mine. It would have been even more embarrassing for her to pretend that they resembled cherries in any form or fashion. 

I kept trying to convince myself that I should just relax and have fun, but I was not buying into it. Added to the discomfort I was feeling was the fact that I kept having to switch out my glasses. One pair to see the instructor, and one pair to see what I was doing. I’m sure it was quite comical to watch, and it certainly took away from my enjoyment.

Luckily, near the end of the cherry debacle, she let us draw our own picture to practice our shading and layering techniques. I quickly sketched a very familiar butterfly which I have been drawing for years. 

My mood changed immediately. The comfort of the known allowed me to test the waters of the new techniques with little difficulty. I cheerfully engaged in conversation with those around me totally clueless as to where the shading should go, and how to determine where the lighting might hit the butterfly’s wings. 

Now I can’t say that the whole experience was a total waste of time by any means, but it did leave me questioning whether I really do enjoy trying new things that I’m not good at?

I think I’ve got sixty-three years of product ingrained in my DNA, and the whole process thing is not something I relish, especially when I know I’m not doing a good job. 

Now I know I’ve probably been overly dramatic in my recollection of last night, but I suppose more than anything I was totally shocked at how I reacted, and a little bummed that I did so. 


Have you found yourself feeling uncomfortable when you tried something new?




No comments:

Post a Comment