Monday, April 22, 2019

That Darn Poison Ivy


That darn poison ivy. 

Sometimes unless we have actually experienced something ourself we might not really know what someone else is going through.

Of course, we can always show compassion, kindness and empathy. However, if we have experienced the same thing, then we really have a better chance of truly understanding someone else’s pain. 

This became obvious to me a few years back when I got poison ivy for the first time clearing brush at our farm. Now although, I was in my fifties, I had somehow managed never to have contracted it before. 

Now, my poor husband had told me tales of his childhood bouts of poison ivy, and even as an adult it was almost a summer right of passage for him at our farm. It’s not that he didn’t know what to look for, but rather it always seemed to be hiding somewhere when he was out clearing brush or fixing fences. 

I always showed some level of concern, but since he’s a pretty tough guy he never really complained all that much. It seemed more like an inconvenience than anything else. 

That is until the spring I got it. Let’s just put it this way. I was MISERABLE and ended up making two trips to the doctor, as it had spread, and lasted for months. I don’t know how in the world he never seemed to complain about the incredible itching that poison ivy brings. 

I’ve avoided it like the plague since then, and pray it never returns. Today, if someone mentions they have poison ivy my heart goes out to them because I truly understand how really miserable it is. 

In life I have sometimes been quick to pass judgement without really knowing what someone else might be going through. I think it might be better to let my poison ivy experience be a reminder to be more empathetic toward others. 





No comments:

Post a Comment