Monday, April 15, 2019

Mr. Fix-It


Mr. Fix-it.

I made a mid-week visit last week to see my daughter and her family. When I arrived my grandson was excited to show me his two new goldfish, Cookie Monster and Jack. 

The two new family members were making their home in a water trough out in the pasture. As luck would have it the younger grandson was still napping, and the sound on the baby monitor was not working. His mother explained that he would have to wait until younger brother woke up. 

Not to be delayed by a sleeping brother, he quickly announced that he could fix the monitor. He snatched it from his mother’s hands, and began making his way to his bedroom, all the while saying something about needing a hammer. 

His mom and I chuckled, and she told him to bring both the hammer and the monitor back to the living room for supervision. He returned promptly hammer in hand, and sat down on the couch between us, and got to work. 

He seemed quite confident in what needed to be done to correct the problem. He placed the small antenna back in position, and began to gently hit it with the wooden hammer he had retrieved from the workbench in his bedroom. 

Again Brittany and I held back our amusement until suddenly we heard the sound machine in the baby’s bedroom. What did you know, my three year old grandson had fixed the baby monitor with his tiny wooden hammer, and ingenuity!

Both Brittany and I burst out laughing at the sheer absurdity of the moment. My grandson had identified the problem, chosen the proper tool, and had solved the problem all in a matter of moments without skipping a beat. 

With working baby monitor in hand we stepped out to visit the two goldfish, who were doing fine at the moment, but unbeknownst to us would only be one later that afternoon. Oh, the circle of life manifested through life on the ranch. We’ve got our fingers crossed that the surviving fish was Cookie Monster, and not Jack as he seemed to be the favorite.  



I must say after realizing the monitor was working I hadn’t laughed that hard in ages. I venture to say there were tears in my eyes at that moment. Laughter and three year olds are good for the soul. 

No comments:

Post a Comment