Monday, April 8, 2019

Abstainer vs Moderator

Abstainer vs moderator. 

Why is it that I’m a rock star when it comes to losing weight, however, a complete loser when it comes to maintaining that weight?

I think the answer for me is that maintenance is all about moderating, and I’m just not good at moderation. I do much better abstaining. 

Samuel Johnson states this so eloquently when he says, “Abstinence is as easy to me, as temperance would be difficult.”

Case in point, the bowl of chips at a Mexican restaurant. If I make the decision ahead of time to just not eat any I’m fine. I spend my time sipping on my drink, and chatting until my meal arrives. Easy peasy.  Not even once do I find myself tempted to snack. However, if I go without a plan, and take that first chip it seems torturous for me to stop. 

For some limiting the chips to just a handful works, but for me it just makes me want them more. 

For the last year I’ve been struggling to maintain my weight loss. Although, somehow I’ve managed to keep my gain in check, by doubling down if my weight is up too much, I find myself discouraged at my inability to maintain my loss. 

I know that statistics show that for most people weight gain after a loss is inevitable. Not only is this discouraging to me, but it also makes me sad. Each day as I reach for something I shouldn’t, I beat myself up for doing so. 

I know I’d be so much happier if I could just figure it all out. I’m beginning to think that maybe I just might have come across what might work better for me. 

Gretchen Rubin in her book of habits, Better Than Before, writes about how knowing whether you are an abstainer or a moderator can make a difference, and how knowing this about your nature can help you to be more successful in meeting your goals.

I’m beginning to think that just abstaining from mindless snacking might just be what I need to do. When I allow myself to go into the pantry to get that first “snack” I open the floodgates to continue snacking the rest of the day. 

It really doesn’t matter if I’m actually hungry or not, it’s just that I struggle to snack moderately. This doesn’t mean I’ll never eat a chip again, but rather than snack on a bag of chips, I just need to include them as part of a meal when appropriate.

By setting these parameters I think I’ll have more success staying at a weight I am comfortable with. Beyond just wanting to “look good,” I truly believe that maintaining a healthy weight can help prevent chronic illnesses that can effect our quality of life as we age. 

So I’m giving it a go, and abstaining from mindless snacking. I’ll let you know in a few weeks how it works for me. 

What are you, an abstainer or a moderator? 

2 comments:

  1. Chips and dips are my down fall! I can lost weight but I don’t keep it off in time some of it comes back I have lost 30lbs that have stayed off but can’t get past that would love to get down 30 lbs more but when junks comes in the house that keeps saying eat me when I open up the ice box’s! Husband does not help! Buying chip cookie and so on! It is a endless battle! I do not use my google account but it would not let me use my other email

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can feel your pain. I think being mindful of it helps us to keep it in check. Even a small weight loss is better than none. Best of luck.

      Delete