Wednesday, December 29, 2021

52 Week Book Challenge



 I fell in love with reading when I was eight years old and read The Hundred Dresses by Eleanor Estes. I literally could not put the book down as I read it walking home from school that day. 

Over my lifetime I must have read at least a thousand books. 

Sadly, after getting my i pad twelve years ago I found myself less and less interested in books. 
It was only the obligation of my book club that kept me reading at least the one required book per month. 

What I had found was that my ability to concentrate had suffered greatly from constant internet use. I was able to bounce from subject to subject, and no longer seemed able to stay focused on just one thing at a time. 

My beloved fiction seemed a waste of time as I read about imaginary lives. I became a knowledge-heat seeking missile, and was drawn only to non- fiction. 

When given the chance to read or to spend time on my i pad, the tablet won out every time. 

I am challenging myself in this new year to read a book a week. I know I am perfectly capable of doing this, and have begun compiling a list of books to read. 

Many of them are coming from my own library, but I do intend to purchase a few I’ve had my eye on. Sadly, my local library is a little limited in the choice of books it offers, but I’m not opposed to getting a few titles from there as well. 

I’m actually getting excited about this challenge, and plan on keeping a log of the books I’ve read. Who knows this may become a yearly habit, and at the end of thirty years I will have read 1,560 additional books!

I may even post about each book I’m reading on the blog. Looking forward to 2022!

No comments:

Post a Comment