Monday, June 21, 2021

Mutton Busting




If you would have asked me fifteen years ago if I knew anything about Mutton Busting, I wouldn’t have been able to give you an answer. 

My knowledge of mutton was that it was a tough, old sheep that people from England seemed ton enjoy.

However, since that time I have been introduced to all things rodeo, and my eyes have been opened to the joy of Mutton Busting. Ever since my daughter married a cowboy I’ve been learning a thing or two about country life. 

Now for those of you who don’t know anything about Mutton Busting, it is an event for children at the rodeo. Rather than riding a bull, the younger kids take turns holding on for dear life while riding a sheep. 

My five year old grandson expressed an interest in Mutton Busting this year at his home town rodeo. We were all excited to see him compete, and his insistence that he would win. 

Prior to leaving for the rodeo we took a few minutes to have him practice his technique while riding on his Papa. Brittany coached him to use his three points of contact while riding the sheep. 

She told him he could use his hands, arms and legs to his advantage to be able to hold on as long as possible before hitting the ground. 

Part of the rodeo experience is also how you dress. My oldest sure looked spiffy decked out in his wranglers, cowboy shirt, boots, and cowboy hat. He even wore a belt buckle that his Dad had earned whole competing in team roping. 

Now since this was his first time to compete we really had NO idea how he would do. Many riders fall off as soon as the sheep is let out of the shoot. 




When it was his turn he did an amazing job. He got a score of sixty-seven, and rode upright until the last second. Now he didn’t win, but the winning score was seventy so he came darn close. 

He had really done a great job, and you could tell that he felt a tremendous sense of accomplishment. 

The grin on his face said it all. 

He handled not winning with such grace, and pride that his Mimi couldn’t stop bragging on him all night. 

Next year his younger brother says he wants to join in the fun too!

I can’t wait. 



No comments:

Post a Comment