Monday, May 10, 2021

“I’m Not Good at Puzzles”





My oldest grandson is good at puzzles. He began showing this aptitude at a young age. 

His younger brother, like his Mimi, is not necessarily gifted in the puzzle realm. 

The other day the youngest was unsuccessfully trying to put together a puzzle while his brother finished up his dinner. 
His frustration began to show, and he sadly confided in me that he was not good at puzzles. I replied, “Neither am I.”

I then reminded him that he was good at making up games. Earlier that day he had created a game Chuck named Hall Hockey. The game consisted of a large wooden spoon for each player, and a small sized basketball. 

Each person would roll the ball down the hall to the other player using the wooden spoon. 
After reminding him about the game we began playing it again. Within a matter of minutes he was gleefully telling me that he was good at this game, and he actually was. 

It reminded me that sometimes we focus on the things we don’t do very well,and end up frustrated or unhappy. 

Generally the things we are good at are things we enjoy. 

Now of course, this doesn’t mean the youngest should never try a puzzle again. After all he is only three, and puzzles can be tricky for most three year olds. 

But they may not end up being his favorite thing to do, and in the scheme of life that’s okay. 

No comments:

Post a Comment