Thursday, June 11, 2020

Some More Breakfast Ideas


Fruit


I always try to include some kind of fruit with my breakfast. 

Breakfast Banana Split

This is one of my absolute favorites, and is a great way to use up any bananas about to go bad. Peel your banana and use a fork to break the banana in half. Then smoosh the banana down. Add any berries you have on hand on top. (My favorites are blackberries and raspberries) Then take one walnut and break it into tiny pieces and sprinkle on top. 




Parfait

Begin with nonfat plain yogurt. Layer yogurt and berries of your choice. If this is not sweet enough add a dollop of raw, unfiltered honey to sweeten it. (My honey of choice is Nature Nate’s.) Try to avoid adding granola to the top because although it is promoted as healthy it actually is high in calories. 
Other fruit choices are bananas, cantaloupe and clementines. 




English Muffins 

One of my favorite way to eat English muffins is toasted, smeared with Laughing Cow light Swiss cheese, and topped with toasted pepitas. The key here is to eat only a half of an English muffin. It keeps the points down. I use the Magnolia Table recipe to toast my pepitas. (2 Tablespoons butter, dash of nutmeg, cayenne and kosher salt. Add your pepitas and stir continuously so they will not burn over medium heat. Stir for just a few minutes, and use your nose to know when they are done. Drain on a paper towel.)
Sometimes Chuck and I place a fried over easy egg on one half of an English muffin. This is another delicious option for eggs. 



Steel Cut Oats

I have never been an oatmeal fan until I discovered steel cut oats. I fix mine on the stovetop, and usually just add fresh or frozen blueberries on top. I’ve tried mangos and strawberries as well, and they were quite tasty. I do not add any sweetener (honey), but Chuck usually does. Although raw unfiltered honey is healthy it is also added points that I don’t usually need. 

Substitutions

Smucker’s Simply Fruit is a great substitution for jelly or jam. It’s a little less in calories, but not in taste. 

Almond milk creamer is also another way to save a few points, actually half as many to be exact. When my morning cup of coffee costs me only two points rather than four it leaves room for something else during the day like my Trader Joe’s dark chocolate peanut butter cup after dinner. 



No comments:

Post a Comment