Monday, March 30, 2020

It’s the Little Things


It’s the Little Things

Yesterday while talking to my daughter, she asked if I had come across any hand sanitizer lately?  She was concerned that Will did not have any to carry in his truck. Agriculture is considered an essential industry so he has been leaving home each day to work, and was having to stop by feed stores, and fill his truck up with gas regularly. 

I told her I did not, but I would certainly look for it when I went to Walmart the next day to grocery shop. I had several items on my list including a couple of health and beauty items, and usually I make a bees line to that department first, and then finish up with the groceries. 

Today I decided to do just the opposite in case the store had been picked over by the weekend shoppers. Luckily, it was well stocked, and I was able to get everything I needed. 

Then I made my way to the vitamin aisle, but sadly there was no vitamin C left. While I was checking the shelves to see if I might have missed it, I heard an employee say, “Wow! I can’t believe I just found this. Do you need some hand sanitizer?”

Sure enough she was holding up a small travel size bottle of sanitizer in her hand. Excitedly, I told her that I did need some for my son-in-law. I asked for two bottles, but she explained they could only sell me one. 

Then she did something completely remarkable, and selfless. She pulled out a small bottle of homemade hand sanitizer from her pocket, and offered it to me. 

Now here she was going to work everyday so that the items delivered each night would be stocked on the shelves, and she was offering me her own personal hand sanitizer. She was  risking her own health each day, and yet she felt compelled to help out my son-in-law. 

I quickly turned down her generous offer, and told her she needed it more, but I was touched by her kindness. 

As I was walking away I heard her offering the extra bottles that she had found at the bottom of her stocking bin to another customer. They probably weren’t even supposed to be there, and had been overlooked in the storeroom. She was just as surprised as I was to find them. 

As I thought about it, what were the chances that I would just so happen to be in her aisle at the exact moment that she came across the out of place hand sanitizers? If I had followed my usual shopping pattern, and gone there first, I would have completely missed out. 

Big and small we surely can be blessed by God. Not only was I blessed by the sanitizer I needed for Will, but by the kindness of the Walmart employee putting my needs above hers. 

After checking with the post office, I was able to mail the sanitizer, and it should be there by Wednesday. 

We’ve still got a long way to go before we are over this, but there are some really good people out there, and that truly is a blessing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment