Monday, December 17, 2018

Limiting Beliefs


Limiting beliefs. 

Author Gretchen Rubin defines a limiting belief as a belief that holds you back or limits you in any way. This may be a belief about yourself personally or one you hold about the world. It may even be something that you are totally unaware of as getting in the way of something you might want to accomplish. 

I think a limiting belief that I hold is that the familiar is better than the unknown. If I've done something the same way over the years I just assume that because it worked in the past it must be be the best way to do something. 

Holding on to this limiting belief allows me to feel comfortable and in control of possible outcome. I hate that feeling of not knowing how to do something. 

The other day I had stopped by the post office to mail a small package. When I arrived there was a predictably long line of others wanting to do the same thing. I dutifully took my place at the end of the line when I remembered that the self-serve kiosk out in the lobby could be used to mail packages. 

I quickly turned around and made my way there where I found no line. Now I can read, and basically that is all that is required as you work your way through the clearly marked steps. Within a matter of minutes my package was mailed, and I think the line inside had not moved an inch. 

I was on my way to my next errand without the frustration of a long line, and only one postal clerk on duty. 



What limiting beliefs are holding you back? Take a minute to reflect on something you have wanted you do, but have allowed a misguided belief to get in the way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment