Friday, December 21, 2018

Changing Routines


Changing routines.  

From everything I have read routine is one of those things that can work both for you, and against you. When it comes to creativity, though, breaking free from your routine is generally recommended.

Why is this so hard for me? I seem to crave routine, and actually love when I can create a new routine. Recently I joined my city's recreation center, and began walking each weekday morning on the walking track. I was loving it, and was even using the arm machines. You know you've got to keep up the arm strength when you have grandchildren.

I think more than anything I was just enjoying starting my morning with a routine that was both productive and predictive, until they decided to floor the gymnasium, and close the walking track for a week. 

Not wanting to break my good habit I made the decision to walk on the treadmill in the fitness center. Now I've never liked treadmills because I find them tedious. Even while listening to a podcast or watching tv I can't wait for my workout to be over. All week I've been reminding myself that this change of routine is just temporary, but I've found myself less than enthusiastic to work out. 

Now I know that shaking things up is supposed to be good for me, because I know the brain also craves novelty. Sticking with the same routine rarely challenges you to learn anything new, and often times the best ideas come from looking at something in a new way. 

My true struggle, though, is how content I am to shop on Monday, do laundry on Tuesday...you get the idea. This routine changing is definitely something I have to force myself to do- kind of like eating vegetables when I was a child. What about you? How do you react to routine?





3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also go to my city's recreation center, although by going I do mean have a yearly membership and then rarely going. Good for you in sticking with it!

    ReplyDelete