Monday, March 5, 2018

Cha-ching!


Cha-ching!

I've always enjoyed getting a deal when it comes to shopping. I remember my Mom teaching me as a teenager to buy quality, but to get it on sale. Over the years I've followed that advice, and have scored more deals than I can count. 

Perhaps my biggest deal was a Kitchen Aid mixer that I was able to purchase at a fraction of the original price. With some guidance from Brittany I was able to price match, use a 30% off coupon, and combine that with some Kohls Cash to become the proud owner of a very quality appliance. Before that time I could never justify the cost. 

Just this week-end I had a similar experience. Our new home has a gas stove top, and from my past experience the handles of my stainless pots and pans were just a third degree burn ready to happen. I knew I was wanting to get some new cookware with rubber handles in order not to worry about burning myself. 

Chuck and I had checked out a set at Bed Bath and Beyond that we liked. It was a twelve piece set with an additional three piece bonus. It was at a sale price of $299.00 which I thought was not too outrageous. Years ago I had foolishly succumbed to some waterless cookware that had cost well over a thousand dollars. Can you say impulse buy? I never did master the art of waterless cooking, and it has sat collecting dust over the years. In fact, if you are interested maybe we can work out a deal. 

We went back this weekend to purchase it before it went off sale or before the bonus pieces were no longer available. Fortunately for us I went with a plan in mind- a plan that was about two years in the making. 

You see a little under two years ago I downloaded the Savings Catcher app from Walmart on my phone. Each week when I finished grocery shopping I would scan the receipt, and wait to see if I received a refund on any products that were on sale somewhere else. This way of price matching was much easier than having to scan the local sales papers. Most weeks I would receive a few cents back, and every now and then a few dollars. It became a game to see how quickly my balance grew. 

At first I thought when it reached one hundred I would cash it in, but to be honest I wasn't exactly sure how to do that so my procrastination grew eventually to two hundred dollars. I knew when the time came I would use the store credit to pay for groceries so I could take the two hundred and use it toward something I really wanted or needed. 

To make a long story short I used the $200.00 to pay towards the new pots and pans. But it actually got better because I had a 20% off coupon, and by the time I actually paid my now fifteen piece set of cookware only cost me $59.00! I used the money I had saved over the last two years on my Savings Catcher app to get a pretty sweet deal. 


When we got home Chuck asked if I wanted to open up the cookware, and try it out. I said, "Nope," that I wanted to save it for the new house. He then asked how could I wait? I said it was quite easy for me because I had learned that good things come to those who wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment