Wednesday, March 29, 2023

The Eagle Has Landed

 



My middle grandson loves all things superhero. Over the last year he has been amassing a collection of superhero Golden Books. After reviewing his collection he realized that he did not have a Miles Morales book. Now for those of you who don’t know Miles is the second Spider-Man. Who knew that there were two? 

I told him that I would order it on Amazon along with another book in the Scaredy Squirrel series. ( If you haven’t had an opportunity to check out the Scaredy Squirrel series, I highly recommend it.)

According to Amazon both books would be arriving in two days. So when I pulled up to the mailbox and saw a box there I assumed that both books had arrived. I immediately called my grandson and announced that “The eagle has landed.” Now for a moment he was unsure what that meant, but when I asked him if he knew what i was talking about it didn’t take him long to figure out that his books had arrived. 

Later he confided that when he heard the word eagle he wondered if a book about the villain “The Vulture” had arrived instead. He reasoned that eagles and vultures were both birds. I thought that was pretty clever on his part. 

A few minutes later when I opened the box I was disappointed to find that only one of the books had arrived, and that the coveted Miles Morales book was missing. According to Amazon it was running late, and might possibly be there in two days if at all. 

I had to break the news to my grandson, but consoled him with the fact that our Scaredy Squirrel Goes Camping book had arrived. (And it was just as cute as the first book.) When I arrived at his house the next day we came up with a Plan B where we would order the book off of the Target website if it didn’t arrive from Amazon. 

Two days later I was out running errands, and I called my daughter to ask her to check the Amazon website to see if the book would be arriving that day. A few hours later as I was turning onto my county road I got a phone call from my grandson. 

He spoke only five words, “Mimi, the eagle has landed!” Needless to say “the eagle” was perched precariously inside my mailbox, and I was able to deliver it the next day. 

I’ve found with this little guy it’s fun to introduce him to words, and phrases he does not know. He’s like a little sponge, and definitely has an aptitude for language. On the flip side I got a real kick out of his message, and realized how blessed I was to have him in my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment