Friday, March 3, 2023

Comfort Revisited

 



I’ve recently come across two different books that address the idea of physical discomfort. In both The Comfort Crisis by Michal Easter, and What Doesn’t Kill Us by Scott Carney both authors put themselves in situations that result in physical discomfort. 

They compare all our modern technology to days of old when things like air conditioning, and power tools were nonexistent. Somehow people survived and thrived even with the physical, discomfort in their life. 

This got me to thinking about physical discomfort in my own life, or perhaps I should say the lack of discomfort in my pretty cushy life. Most of us take advantage of hot showers, climate controlled rooms, and a comfy bed at night. 

Why would we want to do anything different? How could hanging outside in the sweltering heat actually make us a better person? Well I’m not actually sure it would, but the mindset of always having to be comfortable might get in the way of doing something that might benefit you in the long haul. 

I know that I go out of my way to avoid discomfort. While on the other hand my husband seems more tolerant of it. He does not shy from hard, physical labor, and somehow seems to work through the discomfort to achieve his goals. I’ve always admired this about him. 
My excuse has always been that I’m cerebral, and don’t like physical labor. Now this may be true, but it also has held me back from trying new things which might be physically taxing. Somethings like exercise, which is actually quite beneficial for me, is something I have to force myself to do. 

I’d much rather lie on the couch, i pad in hand, searching the net. My brain gets a workout each day gathering new bits of information. I don’t find that the least bit uncomfortable.
After reading that there actually is some science to back the idea of the benefits of discomfort I’ve lingered a little bit longer outside in the cold. There’s some connection between stronger immunity and cold weather. Maybe that’s why my mom used to bundle me up, and take me outside for fresh air during the cold winter months in Boston when I was a baby. 

As I help Chuck clear limbs from our land I push myself to work a little bit longer than I might want to. My habit has been to quit as soon as it becomes uncomfortable, which technically doesn’t take too long. 

After working on strength training at the gym coupled with lifting my youngest grandson quite regularly over the last year and a half I’m stronger than I want to give myself credit for. I’ve learned that sitting around being comfortable is probably the worst thing you can do as you age. 

Physical activity forces the body to rebuild, and not just break down. Now I have learned over the years to listen to my body, and not to over do and cause injury. I thinks it’s a fine line between pushing yourself a little harder, and not going too far. 

How do you handle discomfort?

No comments:

Post a Comment