Tuesday, November 15, 2022

The Library is Always Greener




Every time I move to a new community one of the first things I do is check out the library. My love affair with libraries has been life-long, and I anxiously look forward to getting my new library card. 

When I moved to De Leon I checked out our local library. Predictably it was more on the smaller side, but it appeared
to have a really good collection of fiction. Our local librarian was quite helpful in suggesting a few authors I had never read before. 

My only real complaint was that the non-fiction section of the library was underwhelming. Over the last ten years or so I have been drawn more to non-fiction and generally depend on the library for current best sellers, rather than spend my own money on these titles. 

About a month or so ago I met the head librarian of the Comanche Public Library at a community event. I shared with her my disappointment about the nonfiction at my local library, and she encouraged me to visit the Comanche Library. Apparently since I live in the county I’m eligible to use their library as well. 

I was happy to find that their nonfiction section was indeed larger. However, compared to the city libraries I was used to it still wasn’t quite up to par. 

So somehow in my mind I decided that the Dublin Library that I passed each week on the way to church each Sunday must be the best library around. This was based mostly on the fact that the building itself looked relatively new, so obviously it must be better. 

Well I had the opportunity to visit the library, and found it pretty much on par with my town’s library. As I walked away I reflected on how easy it is to just assume something that may have no basis at all. Because I wanted the Dublin Library to be better I held onto that belief with no real evidence of it being true. 

So right now I’m reading a really good fiction book from my local library. This new to me author has written many books, and my library seems to have them all. If I’m interested in non-fiction I can always drop by the Comanche Library or invest in the book of interest. 

I probably could put in a request for a book or even take advantage of an on-line service provided by my library. What I want to come away with here is that wishing something is so doesn’t actually make it so. 

Appreciating what you have, and looking for real solutions is probably the better way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment