Wednesday, February 23, 2022

The Giver of Stars



I actually had an opportunity to listen the the author, Jojo Moyes speak about this book at the North Richland Hills Library a couple of years ago.

At the time I had not read any of her works, but I always enjoy listening to author talks, so I wasn’t disappointed.

I knew I would enjoy this book because it had to do with books, and people who love books. It takes place in 1937 during the depression when President and Mrs. Roosevelt’s commitment to getting books into the hands of ordinary people results in creating the Pack Horse Library. 

Through funding from the WPA a small town in Kentucky hires a group of women to travel by horse and mule up into the mountains to deliver books to some willing and some unwilling mountain folk. 
I think what I loved most about this book were the characters who kept drawing me back to the story. I also enjoyed the love stories of the two main characters as they each search for a partner to share their life with. 

I highly recommend this book, and will definitely be checking out some of her other books. 

No comments:

Post a Comment