Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Retirement


Retirement. 

Shockingly, it will be ten years this June since I retired from teaching. What scares me a little is how quickly these last ten years have flown by. Even more so, I can’t quite wrap my brain around the idea that in ten more years I’ll be seventy-three. 

This week I have the privilege of attending two retirement receptions for former co-workers of mine. What makes this even more special is the caliber of these two teachers. Not only in their giftedness as educators, but in their character as well. 

As I thought about my over thirty years in education, I realized how blessed I was to work with so many wonderful people. I also feel blessed to have taught during a simpler time in education. It seemed that, although, we might have had some challenging years, there was always time for fun and fellowship. 

As I think about these two I have very distinct memories of both. Laverne has the gift of bringing out the very best in each child she taught. As an art teacher she sowed the seeds of creativity, and appreciation for the arts. Year after year the quality of artwork produced was exceptional. Open house was like a gallery showing at a renowned art gallery. She always put in the extra time to make sure each child’s artwork was presented in its best light. She will be sorely missed, as she definitely is one in a million. 

I had the pleasure of teaching first grade with Jackie back when Frisco was quite small. She had such a heart for young children, and her patience and love seemed to bubble forth each time she expertly guided the youngest of learners. To be honest, I was struggling that year with a challenging class, and was just hoping to make it through the day. If you teach long enough, you have a few of those years. Jackie’s optimistic nature helped me to look past my own struggles, to find the good in each child. Over her career she has mentored many beginning teachers, and I know they have gone on to be better teachers because of her. 

I take great pride in knowing these two women, and the many others who have, and continue to make a difference in the lives of children. I wish them both a wonderful retirement as they turn the pages in a new chapter of their life. 

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe it's been 10 years for you already. I am really starting to slow down and thinking about what's next for me. Perhaps you can share how you decided when to retire and what plan you put in place for what you wanted retirement to look like for you.

    ReplyDelete