Thursday, March 15, 2018

Pyrex Bowl


Pyrex bowl. 

As I was cleaning up the kitchen the other day I realized that I pretty much use the same Pyrex bowl to eat my popcorn out of each day. What I also realized was that the simple green bowl belonged to my mother-in-law before she passed away. Each time it makes its way off the shelf or out of the dishwasher I am reminded of her. 

I like having keepsakes that I can actually use, and be reminded of my loved ones on a regular basis. For over thirty years I have been using my mother's cooking utensils that I inherited after her death. My step-mother was cleaning out my mom's stuff and replacing it with her own, and didn't seem to think a potato masher or slotted spoon was of much value. 

I quickly gathered up as much as I could carry, and have lovingly used the same tools my mother used while I have cooked for my family over the years. I get a kick out of using her potato masher to mash avocados for guacamole as I am almost certain she had never heard of either back in the late seventies. 

Another treasure from my mother-in-law is her library card which is proudly displayed with my thimble collection in a large printer's tray on the wall.  Her love of reading and mine was something we both had in common. Also displayed in that same tray is my mother's bottle of Channel No. 5. Each time I open the bottle I'm transported back to my childhood watching her get ready for a night out with my father. 

I'm looking forward to displaying my grandmother's teacups again when we move into our new home. I've missed seeing them over the last year as they have been carefully packed away. Drinking "a cup of tea" with her was a weekly occurance during my young adult years. 

I know that for some sentiment is not as important as for others, but I enjoy those walks down memory lane courtesy of special possessions. As much as downsizing has been a part of my life lately, I am realizing the value of special objects that remind you of a time or place. 

At my apartment I have a painting of William's Square hanging in my foyer. My father was the first property manager of this impressive building, and it is known for the beautiful Mustang statues that grace its entrance. It is a simple reminder of him when I walk through the door, and the irony is that years later I would be living within sight of it; again another reminder on my father. 

I've always had a love of history, and probably would be considered the family's unofficial historian. I have chronicled my daughter's life from birth to college graduation, and hope that she too sees the value of this with her own children. Once I get settled in the house I plan on organizing my father, and several of his brothers mementos to help keep their memory alive. I suppose writing this blog is another attempt at leaving behind some sort of legacy for my grandchildren. I think it's important to honor those who came before us. 

"Memory eternal."

An Orthodox prayer

2 comments:

  1. Don’t you wonder what your grandchildren will want to keep to remind them of you? Am I weird? My grandmother had a dresser with a very thin top drawer. That is where she kept her jewelry. I wanted the chest of drawers when she died. I love sliding it open to see my daughter’s stuff. Yes, she uses it right now, When she comes home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope my grandchildren will do so as well.

      Delete