Friday, March 2, 2018

Happiness


Happiness. 

I used to spend quite a bit of time and money on self-help books. I'm not really sure if this had more to do with wanting to actually improve myself, or more to do with convincing myself that I was okay. As a young teen I repeatedly checked out the same book, A New You, hoping for a transformation. Unfortunately multiple readings did not result in a different me. 

I was reading a post the other day about the secret to happiness, and how you shouldn't put your happiness in someone else's hands. I have to agree that this does make sense, however, what I've also learned is that focusing too much on yourself won't necessarily make you happier either. 

When we primarily put ourselves first, we miss out on the happiness that comes from serving others. As with everything you have to find that sweet spot that allows you to pursue your unique interests, but also allows you to share them with others. 

We each have our own set of gifts, and embracing and sharing them makes for a winning combination. I used to worry too much about what others thought of me, and tried too hard to be "just like everyone else."

As I grew in years and wisdom I realized that all the "quirky" things that made me me were actually things to be celebrated, and not hidden away under a bushel. Just like the hand can't really be the foot, we shouldn't strive to find happiness by conforming ourself to others.

True happiness is not found in putting your wants ahead of everyone else. Treat yourself with respect, and stand up for your rights yes, but even a small random act of kindness can make a difference in YOUR happiness. 




No comments:

Post a Comment