Thursday, July 11, 2024

Crape Myrtles




 A few months back I mentioned to my husband that I missed seeing crape myrtles. They are quite common in the suburbs where their beautiful colors abound. We had discussed planting some in our yard here at our country home, but had not pursued it much further. 


It wasn’t too long after that as I was driving through our small town that I noticed a crape myrtle growing in someone’s yard. A few houses down was another. It was then that I began actually looking out for crape  myrtles, and found much to my amazement that they were pretty much everywhere. 


It seems that I wasn’t looking for them, and had overlooked what was right before my eyes. Now I’m constantly on the lookout for these beautiful trees, and am delighted when I see them. 


I think the lesson is that we pretty much end up noticing the things we look for. 


There actually is some science to back up this phenomenon, and I’m including the link below if you’d like to learn more. ( I also learned that it can be spelled both crape and crepe.)



https://science.howstuffworks.com/life/inside-the-mind/human-brain/baader-meinhof-phenomenon.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment