Tuesday, January 16, 2024

Nine Years




 Nine years ago with much trepidation I posted my first posting on my blog, Grace Found Daily. Interestingly I quoted Stephen Covey, and his second habit of, “Begin with the end in mind.” Except I had no end in mind. I just knew that I wanted to start writing. 


As the years have gone by I have written faithfully five days a week to hit or miss depending on the year. Do I regret starting the blog? No, but I find it to be quite rudderless as the years have progressed. 


Today in reading Ryan Holiday’s The Daily Stoic, January 5th’s entry: Clarify Your Intentions, I’ve come to the conclusion that having no end in mind has been counterproductive. Ryan states:

“Having an end in mind is no guarantee that you’ll reach it-but not having an end in mind is a guarantee you won’t.”


He points out that having no real direction will get in the way of knowing what to do next, what to say no or yes to, knowing when it’s time to stop or change direction. 


If my only goal in writing my blog is to record my own personal family history, then so be it. If it is a way to influence or to entertain, or simply an opportunity to write on a regular basis then it’s time to declare its purpose. 


So today I find myself giving thought to the direction of this blog, and to finally begin with the end in mind. 

No comments:

Post a Comment