Friday, July 28, 2023

Grasshoppers

 


Lately, I’ve felt like I’m in an episode of Exodus. You know the one with the grasshopper, okay technically locusts, but it’s pretty darn close. 

In the three years that we have owned this property we’ve always had grasshoppers, but nothing like this year. I’m wondering if the excessive rain this spring was the culprit. The word “biblical” definitely applies here. 

When I think back to one of the first times I traveled to Stephenville to visit my future son-in-law, I can’t help but chuckle to my reaction to grasshoppers. I was so afraid that I refused to get out of the car and walk across the yard to check out some baby goats. 

Today I walk fearlessly as hundreds of grasshoppers fly like a fountain away from me with each step I take. They are everywhere, and occasionally one might actually land on you. However, now I merely brush it off and keep on walking. 

The other day it looked like a grasshopper convention as they all hung out under the shade of our carport. Apparently, even an insect knows to seek shade to beat the heat. Between this extreme heat and the influx of insects life on the ranch in the summer is now becoming my least favorite time of year. 

As I write this sitting inside my air conditioned house looking out the front window at the beautiful view, I’m resigned to the fact that I’ll have to wait a few more months to enjoy my front porch again. In addition to the grasshoppers the blister beetles have decided to make an appearance this year. Sweeping them off the front porch has become a regular occurrence now. 

As much as I am enjoying country life it can be a little challenging to a city girl. Mother Nature generally wins.

No comments:

Post a Comment