Wednesday, May 20, 2020

The Rolling Pin




The Rolling Pin

 After my mother passed away over forty years ago, I took possession of her cooking utensils. I hadn’t really planned on taking them, but when my father remarried my step-mother didn’t need or want them. I couldn’t stand to see them thrown away in the trash. 

After all my Mom was the heartbeat of our home, and she had prepared many a meal for her family using those very utensils. I had watched her cook over the years, and it broke my heart the day I saw them stashed in a box ready to be thrown away. 

After retrieving them I brought them back to my apartment, and for the last forty years or so I’ve made a point to use them rather than store them away as keepsakes. 

This past week my oldest grandson came to spend some “alone time” with his Mimi and Papa. After two months of quarantine I think everyone was going a little stir crazy. 

He’s at that age where he’s pretty self-sufficient, and really does look forward to visiting so it’s a win-win for everyone involved. Most of the time I try to plan a few extra activities that I think he will enjoy.


Since Cooper’s birthday was just around the corner I thought it might be fun to make some dog treats for the celebration. It’s hard to believe that the little guy will be turning seven this month, and I knew my grandson enjoyed helping his Mom bake cookies. 

As we mixed up the dough, and got ready to roll it out I reached for the rolling pin. The rolling pin that just so happened to belong to my mom. At that moment it occurred to me that the great grandson that she had never met was using the very same rolling pin that she had used over forty years before. 



I sure felt blessed that I had taken it home that afternoon, and that today I had the privilege of using it with my grandson.

I’ve included the recipe for the dog treats below if you are interested in making some. 


Cooper’s Dog Treats
(Original Source Unknown)
Preheat oven to 350
Ingredients
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup cornmeal
1 Tablespoon canola oil
1 egg
1/8 cup milk
(Optional: 1 egg beaten for egg wash)
Extra flour for rolling

Mix together wheat flour and cornmeal in a medium sized bowl. 
Add oil, broth, egg and milk. 
Roll out dough on floured surface to 1/4 inch thickness.
Cut out shape with cookie cutter- I use a dog bone shaped one. 
Brush egg wash on each one. 
Cool on a wire rack. 
( These will last 4 weeks in the fridge and 6 months in the freezer.)


No comments:

Post a Comment