Friday, April 24, 2020

Predictable



Predictable

In reading my morning devotional (which in full  transparency doesn’t actually get read each morning), Trusting in God Day by Day by Joyce Meyers she writes the following,

“People become bored because their lives become predictable.”

What’s more predictable than a quarantine? In fact, I have heard people say that each day has begun to run into the next, and they are losing track of their days. The weekends are no different than the week days, and so on and so on.  

Six weeks ago when this journey began I naively thought, “I’ve got this.” I tried to stick as closely as I could to my normal routine. The long foyer in my house took the place of the gym for morning walks, and Zoom made Bible Study on Wednesday and Weight Watchers on Thursday possible. I stuck to my normal routine of grocery shopping on Monday and doing laundry on Tuesday. Nothing changed too much as first, except that it was digital. 

The predictability of it all gave me a false sense of comfort thinking this would only last until the end of March. I actually did quite well until Monday of this week when I woke up and accepted the fact that it was now week six and this thing could go on for another month or even two. My enthusiasm for trying to be productive each day had waned, and to quote my precious daughter I was “Over it.”

So here we are waiting to find out when we can officially, and safely leave the confines of our homes. It’s kind of like chomping at the bit. There is a light at the end of the tunnel, but we’re still having to crawl through the rubble of the cave to get out. 

This week I came upon a video (I’ve probably watched hundreds of them over the last six weeks) that was a parody of the different types of social media posters. There was the nurse, the conspiracy theorist, the alternative healer (aka essential oil salesperson), the religious fanatic, and the Netflix binger. 

I laughed when I realized that over the course of the last six weeks I think I had been all of them. When you have nothing but time on your hands there are an awful lot of rabbit holes to venture down. 

Now usually I like to leave you with some tidbit of inspiration. Today I have to admit I’ve really got “Nuffin” to quote my grandson from a few years back when he was potty training. I guess we’re all in this together, and we’ll get through it one step at a time. 

Hang in there and enjoy your predictable day!

No comments:

Post a Comment