Tuesday, April 30, 2024

Random Word Generator




 I wrote recently about The Creativity Cure. One of the exercises included in the book was using a random word generator to spark creativity. 


Basically you can use an online word generator or just open any book and randomly choose a word. 


Start with a problem you have been contemplating. I chose I feel a little stuck, and am not moving forward. My random word was pasture. 


I then asked the question, “How is being stuck like a pasture. Here is where the creativity comes into play. Just like brainstorming start making a list of as many ways as you can think of that address the idea of being stuck is like a pasture. 


The first thing that came immediately to mind was the cliche “Being put out to pasture.” This generally happens when you are no longer considered “in your prime.” I didn’t want to think of myself being relegated to the pasture just because of my age. I reflected on this and decided it should inspire, encourage, and motivate me to remain useful and productive.


I also thought of pastures as being a place to roam and graze. I’ve watched our cows curiously check out anything new in the pasture. To me this meant to keep moving, exploring, and to be curious. In other words continue to feed your mind, because of course the pasture also provides a food source to those cows. 


Pastures are generally fenced in to keep the animals safe. The metaphor here is not to be confined by the fences you have erected in your life. Although you may feel safe in the known of your pasture, this is a false sense of safety. The reality is that predators can make their way into the pasture through the fence. 


Leaving the pasture is probably the better way. In fact, recently we added a remote control gate on our property. Leaving the pasture is so much simpler now. No longer am I required to leave my car, manually unlock the gate, open it, drive through, get out of my car, close the gate, lock it again, and then return to my car. Leaving the pasture is now a piece of cake!


During the spring months often the pasture is filled with wild flowers. This is a reminder to “Stop and smell the roses.”  Looking for those opportunities right in front of us to make life more interesting. 


Of course, during the winter months the pasture is eaten down to the ground, and is not able to provide enough nourishment to the cows. During this time extra hay is brought in to provide food for the animals. Is my life pasture barren and needing supplementation to keep my creativity alive? What can be done to nourish my soul during these more barren times?


Also, the winter is a time of rest for the pasture. Rest is an important and vital component of creativity. Being able to just do nothing seems impossible as I am continually plugged in, never allowing my mind to just roam. Making time for rest needs to be a priority in order for creativity to bloom. 


The pasture is also a place where deer sometime come to feed. It is a temporary respite from their home in the woods nearby. It takes risk to leave the safety of the wooded area and come out into the open to look for food. Risk taking is a part of life, and is not something to be avoided at all costs. 


The pasture is a peaceful and beautiful sight to behold from the comfort of my front porch. Looking for beauty in the simple things is certainly the way to go. 


One of the downfalls of the pasture are the grass burrs. These wicked stickers are the bane of our existence. They are not easily removed from the bottom of your shoes or your hand. This goes to show you that in life there is both good and bad. Although, we do everything we can to eliminate them we will never be completely successful.  Life is like that as well, and the lesson is not to overly dwell on the grass burrs, and press on. 


In addition to the grass burrs are the grasshoppers which have been known to come in biblical proportions. Luckily, they generally jump away from you, but you’ll never know that unless you venture into the pasture. When I first discovered them I was terrified. Now I casually brush off the one rogue hopper who didn’t quite get the message to jump away from the human. 



For me the best part about the pasture is pasture rides. We load up the Mule with our grandkids and my dog Cooper, and head out for a glorious ride. The wind in our hair, the laughter abundant, and the splash of puddles is the perfect way to spend time with the ones you love. 


So what have I learned from the random generator exercise. Well first, it sure was a lot of fun to do, and a great outlet for my creativity. As I compared my life to pasture life it opened my eyes to not wanting to remain fenced in to the safety of the known. It helped me to appreciate the beauty already in my life, and that just like the deer to venture out.

No comments:

Post a Comment