Friday, February 7, 2020

How Thinking You’re Not an Expert Isn’t a Good Thing



How Thinking You’re Not an Expert Isn’t a Good Thing


When you think about the term expert, what comes to mind?

If anyone were to ask you about your area of expertise what would your answer be?

I used to think that being an expert meant that you had to know everything there was to know about a subject. If this was the case then I was far from being an expert at anything. Of course, who could really know that much? Isn’t there always something more to learn?

It wasn’t until I read the actual definition of expert that I changed my mind.
An expert is: 

“A person who has a comprehensive and authoritative knowledge of or skill in a particular area.”

When I changed my thinking from knowing everything to knowing enough about a subject it made me think that I might have enough comprehensive knowledge about a few things to be considered an expert.

At the end of my teaching career I would have considered myself an expert at teaching second grade. Was there more to be learned, of course, but between my years of experience and my knowledge, I probably knew more about teaching second grade than the majority of the population. 

Now why does any of this really matter at this point in my life? I think it has more to do with what stands in the way of moving forward. Sometimes as I think about that next thing in life I hold back thinking I’m really not qualified to do something else. 

Recently I learned more about my friend, Cheryl Norris, who had switched career paths midstream in her thirties. She had a background in theater, but went on to be an expert in training and development in the nuclear energy field. 

Now how in the world did this happen? Her degree had nothing to do with this field, and yet she went on to start her own consulting firm. What I learned was that what she didn’t know she learned. 

She started with her ability in public speaking, and marketed herself as a consultant. Meanwhile, behind the scenes she learned all she could about each subject she was called upon to present. Did she make mistakes along the way, you bet she did. 

However, remarkably she did not allow this to hold her back. I admire her spirit, her bravery, and her grit. 

I on the other hand constantly hold back, or perhaps a better way of putting it is, I hide my light under a bushel. If I have anything of value to share I determine that because I’m not an “expert” I should just keep quiet. 

One of my favorite pastimes for the last ten years has been reading and taking notes. My inquiring mind can’t seem to get enough information. Have I acquired a comprehensive knowledge of anything?

I sure have. 

So where to go with this tidbit of information? Sadly my friend, Cheryl, passed away this past week after battling ALS. As I think about the legacy that we all leave, intended or not, it makes me realize how short life really is. 

Cheryl you have inspired me through your life to take those chances, to make those mistakes, and to make a difference even to just one person. 

What do you have comprehensive knowledge of that you could share with the world? I think we all are experts in our own way. 

Rest In Peace sweet Cheryl. 

No comments:

Post a Comment