Thursday, September 27, 2018

Ambivert


Ambivert.

I've been fascinated with personality tests since my late teens. I think perhaps I was drawn to them in an attempt to better understand myself. 

Except I'm not so sure they really helped because I constantly found myself changing my mind. I guess more than anything it showed a lack of self-awareness.

One of the test I've taken several times is the Myers-Briggs. One of the categories included in this test is extroverted or introverted. Now although my actions might not always show myself to be introverted in the most common understanding of the word, I have found that I draw my energy more from being alone rather than with groups of people. 

However, I also know that I do enjoy spending time with others, and my outgoing nature probably would not qualify me as an introvert. I've worked the Myers-Briggs both ways, and they both seem to fit to some degree. 

I think I've finally come to the conclusion that I fall more into another group known as ambivert. It is a balance between both. So although I feel comfortable in groups, and in speaking out, I also can find myself feeling overwhelmed and exhausted when I have too much time around others. 

As a result I find myself retreating to the solitude of my own home. Because I do seem to draw more energy from alone time, I think I fall more into the introverted category of the Myers-Briggs. 


Where do you fall on the introvert-extrovert spectrum?

2 comments:

  1. Introvert but those around me would laugh!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From the comments I'm finding this to be more common than I thought.

      Delete