Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Cultivating Creativity


Cultivating creativity. 

The word cultivate originally referred to agriculture. A farmer would prepare his soil before planting. However, it actually can apply to anything that requires "nurturing to help it grow." 

Creativity is such a thing. Left alone it might wither and die, but through nurturing it can flourish. Carrie Bloomston, author of The Little Spark, believes that, "Creativity isn't something you do; it is who you are." Her book offers plenty of inspiration to be that creative person. 

Making room for creativity in your life, allowing for inspiration, and just noticing the world around you helps to cultivate that creative person within. One fun idea she writes about is keeping a jar of markers handy just in case inspiration strikes. 
"Creativity can strike at any moment and you want to be ready for it when it does."

I find it's easy to get caught up in my daily routine, moving on quickly to the next thing I lose sight of what really is important. In order for me to grow I must cultivate creativity at each turn. Listening to music, trying new cuisine, exploring the shelves in a book store, noticing the design patterns in a piece of fabric are all ways to make me more aware of my surroundings. 

Instead of worrying about what I can do to be creative I'd rather focus my energies on absorbing the creativity right before my very eyes, and being "...open to possibility, opportunity, and the moment."

"Not all who wander are lost."
J.R.R. Tolkien



No comments:

Post a Comment