Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Minimalist-Not


Minimalist-not.

Minimalism seems to be the battle cry of many millennials. I've certainly been intrigued, and have done my share of decluttering over the last two years. I've done my best to not bring too much more into my home. Infact, Chuck has stated if he can't eat, drink or wear it he doesn't want it. 

Although, minimalism might be fine for some, I don't think it's a one-size-fits-all kind of thing. When we lived in our two bedroom apartment, although it met our basic needs, I found that I really wanted more space. At our home now, although it is smaller than our last, I enjoy having room to spread out, and display some of the treasures I've collected along the way. 

I've downsized my library considerably, but that has not stopped me from purchasing new books. I just try to be a little more discriminating knowing I might have to part with something old to make room for the something new on my one bookshelf. 

I've come to the belief that objects aren't inherently bad, especially if they to quote Marie Kondo, "Spark joy." I have also realized that if you have too much of something you probably won't get around to using it all. I've collected James Avery jewelry for over thirty years, and really love it, however, I find myself returning time and time again to the same pieces each day. As much as I might want to add to my collection, I'm not sure I really should. 

I think where I am now in the minimalist world is basically different strokes for different folks. If you feel like you are drowning in clutter then certainly address that problem, and start making trips to your local charity, but if you love your stuff then make sure to really enjoy it. 



No comments:

Post a Comment