Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Writing Group


Writing group. 

Well, I've joined a writing group. I had considered it several times before, but always found a way to convince myself not to attend. There was a group that met monthly at the Euless Library, but I felt uncomfortable just showing up. 

Ironically, after meeting our new younger neighbors I learned that one of them was a published author, and that she was hosting the writers' group at her home until the library was through with renovations. 

So now what excuse did I have not to go?  Earlier this month I made my way over to her home, and was introduced to a group of three other writers. I sat there as they critiqued each other's work, and realized how little I actually knew about writing.

As a history minor in college, and not an English minor I was surprised at how little of the vocabulary I even understood. As a primary grade teacher I never really had to learn more than the simple basics of literary elements. 

When I left I knew I had a whole lot to learn. I began first with a simple brushing up on terms. As a reading teacher I knew how important vocabulary and background knowledge were to true understanding. If I was going to speak intelligently at the next meeting I was surely going to have to step up my game. 

Before I left I did share with them an idea I had for a story. They were receptive to the premise which was encouraging, but since then I've realized how much learning I need to do to even consider developing the idea into a possible novel. 

Luckily, between the Internet and the library I've begun the process. I've started a little writing notebook to keep up with all the information and notes that I am taking. To be honest, I feel way over my head, but already my story has improved since I first shared it. 


Now I've got a LONG way to go, and who knows if this particular idea will pan out completely? What I do know is that I'm a beginner in this process, and that's okay. It's exciting to learn new information, and once again to push myself out of my comfort zone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment