Thursday, March 1, 2018

Health


Health. 

I've been giving some thought to health this flu season. What I've realized is that just like it's harder to lose weight when you are older, it also seems harder to recover from illness as well. 

Two years ago I was under quite a bit of stress, and found myself with an upper respiratory infection. I was teaching kindergarteners at the time, and I had them convinced that there truly  was a frog in my throat impeding my ability to talk. 

My upper respitory became bronchitis which eventually became pneumonia. By this time three months had gone by, and I found myself completely exhausted, and unable to stop coughing. In fact, that cough lingered all summer. 

I really began to wonder if I would ever be completely well or if I would have a chronic cough for the rest of my life?  Now mind you, I was the teacher who not only had enough sick days banked to pay for my maternity leave, but I also retired with a hefty sum of unused sick days that was reimbursed by my district. 

During my junior high days I was the only member of our large carpool that did not get the Hong Kong flu which pretty much left my school desolated. Perfect attendance was something that just came natural as I seemed to be blessed with an incredible immune system. Viruses didn't know my name, and I took it for granted that it would always be that way. 

What I did know, though, was that if I was ever under immense stress I caved. The last semester of my graduate work found me missing school for a week as I had attempted to finish before the summer, and was teaching, and driving two nights a week from Duncanville to Denton. I think this is why I've always been inclined to try to live my life with a more balanced approach.

Two years ago, though, in sheer desperation I made a trip to my local health food store, and spoke with the manager about my situation. The first thing we did was put me on a good probiotic as I had just come off of a round of three antibiotics. Building up my immune system became priority one. That with a natural expectorant seemed to make the difference, and by fall my cough was gone. 

It was then that I began to make a concerted effort to remain healthy. Elderberry syrup was recommended for immune boosting, and both Chuck and I have been taking it faithfully this winter. Along with plenty of fruits and vegetables, herbal teas and raw honey, as well as diffusing essential oils we are trying our best to remain healthy. 

Your health is worth more than silver and gold, and I don't want to take it for granted. 



"An apple a day keeps the doctor away."

No comments:

Post a Comment